The original project for Casa Capriata was seen as a manifesto for experimentation with building materials and techniques during the Fifties. Plans for the eco-sustainable wooden refuge were drawn up by the Turin-born architect Carlo Mollino for the 10th Triennale di Milano in 1954, but disagreement between the sponsors meant that it was never actually built. The idea of bringing the plans to fruition started as a cultural project as part of the celebrations for the anniversary of Mollino’s birth, and then became a research project and a reality in 2010 under the name of Rifugio Carlo Mollino, thanks to the efforts of a team of researchers at the Department of Architecture and Design at Turin Polytechnic University led by Professor Guido Callegari, and by the Comunità Montana Walser. A “lightweight wooden structure” raised off the ground, a reference to the local Walser buildings, became an experimental building in the Weissmatten ski area, at Gressoney Saint Jean, in which the architectural, structural, technological and engineering aspects were reworked in keeping with the design criteria set out by Mollino, resulting in an energy efficient building with innovative components and construction systems, consistent with the original building/manifesto. Great care was taken over the interiors, such as the rubber flooring contrived with a product by Ettore Sottsass, whilst the interiors are furnished with pieces designed by Mollino from the Zanotta collection.