In November 1968, when Lower Manhattan was still an adventurous, run-down area, teeming with creativity of all kinds, Judd purchased a cast-iron building hundreds of kilometres from the nearest desert. Designed by Nicholas Whyte and built in 1870 in the middle of the SoHo-Cast Iron District, it was originally intended for industrial and commercial use by the textile industry. It underwent a radical overhaul because, when Judd took possession of the building it was in a parlous state, overflowing with trash, to such an extent that “Arman could have bought the building and left it alone.” Judd embarked on its restoration, determined to preserve its formal and functional specifications. He kept the open spaces, added no dividing walls, instead attempting to free the lines and allow the original characteristics, such as the decorative cast-iron features, to re-emerge. There are five floors, each earmarked for one of the fundamental missions: "sleeping, eating, working." Its final purpose came as a result of all this, when the house at 101 Spring Street was acquired to serve as an exhibition space in line with the artist’s philosophy.